Examination of the patient before starting therapeutic treatment begins with the appointment of laboratory and instrumental studies. Ultrasound is considered an informative and painless diagnostic method.
Visualization of echo signals from internal organs and systems is carried out by transforming ultrasonic waves into a source of information processing, which is reflected in the form of an image on the monitor. Patients can undergo an ultrasound scan in Zhytomyr at the IVMED clinic. The procedure has no contraindications, is safe for adults and children, does not cause any inconvenience or discomfort.
What types of ultrasound examinations can be done at the clinic?
Ultrasound diagnostics is performed to study the functional state of organs and determine pathological processes.
This method is used:
- in obstetrics – to determine the fertilized egg, examination of the fetus to screen for genetic diseases in the early and late stages of gestation, monitoring the development of the embryo
- in gynecology – preventive examinations of women when planning pregnancy, determining pathological conditions of the pelvic organs, monitoring therapeutic treatment
- in abdominal studies of the abdominal organs (liver, spleen, intestines, pancreas)
- in urology – to assess the state of the men’s genitourinary system
- when examining the organs of the retroperitoneal space: kidneys, lymph nodes, adrenal glands
When does the doctor prescribe an ultrasound scan?
The patient is referred for an ultrasound examination in the presence of clinical indications and complaints of pain, functional disorders, when planning a pregnancy, before a planned surgical intervention.
The direction for ultrasound of the female pelvic organs is indicated for:
- acute and chronic inflammatory processes of the body of the uterus and appendages
- suspicion of the presence of benign formations (fibroids, cysts, tumor-like formations of the ovaries)
- identification of endometrial pathology
- identification and management of pregnancy (The fetal egg in the uterine cavity is determined by ultrasound technology on the 5-7th day from the day of delayed menstruation)
Abdominal ultrasound is indicated for:
- suspicion or presence of benign or malignant neoplasms
- functional and organic disorders of the digestive system(a feeling of heaviness in the right hypochondrium, a feeling of bloating, girdle pain, a feeling of bitterness in the mouth, abdominal trauma, before preparing for surgery, diagnosis of diabetes mellitus, exacerbation of infectious and acute inflammatory processes, exacerbation of pancreatitis, cholecystitis)
Ultrasound of the mammary glands is carried out:
- for the diagnosis of fibrocystic mastopathy, which was suspected by a mammologist during palpation examination or after mammography
- screening examination for women after 30 years
- examination of the breast of pregnant and lactating women
- if you suspect benign and malignant tumors
- to supplement the data of X-ray mammography of women with menarche
How is ultrasound diagnostics carried out?
The procedure is carried out on a couch in the supine or lateral position. After processing the surface under investigation with a special gel, the doctor attaches an ultrasonic sensor. The frequency setting of the scanner depends on the exam type. The ultrasound gel generates an echo image to the monitor. Multifunctional transducers allow to do examinations of organs of different density, structure and echogenicity.
The advantages of ultrasound studies in the diagnosis of pathological conditions
The main advantages of using ultrasound in the practice of a doctor:
- there are practically no contraindications
- high sensitivity and information content
- the method does not require specific preparation
- patients do not feel discomfort and pain
- a quick way to diagnose and obtain results
- the method allows detecting oncological diseases in the early stages, adhesions of the small pelvis, the consequences of the performed operations, genetic abnormalities of the fetus, functional and structural changes in organs, to assess changes in the vessels of the head, neck, extremities and many other pathological processes
- affordable cost
The ultrasound method allows you to do quick and efficient screening for serious disorders, and to refer patients for additional examinations and treatment promptly.
What should the patient do before the ultrasound scan?
Most ultrasound research methods do not require special preparation, but for examining the abdominal and retroperitoneal organs it is necessary:
- to follow a special diet for 2-3 days, exclude foods that stimulate the formation of gases, vegetables and fruits
- the procedure is performed on an empty stomach
Ultrasound of the genitourinary system is performed when the bladder is full. It is recommended to drink 1-1.5 liters of water. So the uterus, ovaries and prostate gland are well visualized. Transvaginal ultrasound is performed when the bladder is empty.
Examination of the breast and the body of the uterus is recommended on the 5-14th day of the menstrual cycle.
Ultrasound diagnostics at the IVMED clinic
The method of ultrasound examination of organs and systems is popular and in great demand.
At IVMED clinic, patients are treated by certified specialists who have been trained in the direction of “ultrasound diagnostics”. All studies are carried out with modern equipment. The patient will receive full medical care and specialist advice, if necessary an additional research and adequate treatment will be prescribed for affordable prices.