The use of this calendar is very important in gynecological practice, that's why a doctor should calculate the gestational age after pregnancy testing. This indication is important to find out fetal age and the estimated delivery date. By the means of the fetal age, the obstetrician-gynecologist will be able to monitor the normal development of the fetus and whether the pregnancy is proceeding normally, as well as provide the additional examinations (ultrasound and other screening methods) to the expectant mother.
Methods for pregnancy calculation
It is worth noting there are two types of duration of gestation, namely:
The duration of gestation is determined in the following ways:
- It is worth noting there are two types of duration of gestation, namely:
1. Fetal age, which is calculated from conception day and is often two weeks behind gestational age.
- Gestational age, which begins from the first day of the last menstrual period, which was before pregnancy.
- by determination of the date of the last menstrual period
- by determination of the date of the last ovulation
- by using the ultrasound diagnostics, the fetus can be seen from 4-5 weeks of pregnancy
- by calculation of the size of the uterus
- by determination of the level of chorionic gonadotropin, which rises starting from 11 weeks
- by the first movements of the fetus, which occur at approximately 20 weeks
The most common method is the determination of the gestation duration due to the date of the last menstrual period. Although this method is effective if the woman has a standard cycle length, and it is more or less regular.
For example, if the cycle lasts not 28 days, but a week longer, then the gestational age will be changed in this case.